Getting Started


What are the steps to achieve my Recreational Pilot Certificate (RPC):

-        Contact our Chief Flying Instructor to arrange a Trial Introductory Flight (TIF)

-        Sign up for a FREE 3 month Temporary Membership with Recreational Aviation Australia

-        Start flying lessons and work towards achieving your first solo flight

-        Complete the required Recreational Pilot Certificate exams

-        Continue flight training for issue of a Recreational Pilot Certificate

-        Complete a flight test to achieve your Recreational Pilot Certificate

-        Achieve a passenger endorsement to take your friends and family flying!

-        Subscribe to the RAAus Mailing List to keep up to date with information

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Aviation Medical / Fitness to Fly

One of the benefits of being an RAAus member is the drivers licence medical standard which doesn't require the need for a costly aviation medical, however, just because it may be simpler to achieve the medical standard doesn't mean that pilots don't have to be responsible for ensuring they are fit to fly prior to each and every flight! 

RAAus requires that recreational pilot certificate (RPC) holders must have a health standard equivalent to that required for the issue of a private motor vehicle licence in Australia. If you are under the age of 75 without any health conditions then this simply requires a medical declaration, however, members must provide an annual statement from their doctor (GP) confirming that they meet the health standard if they have any of the following conditions:

It is the responsibility of the pilot to ensure that they have provided RAAus an annual declaration from their doctor (GP) if any of the above conditions apply, prior to flight.

In addition to the above, any condition or restrictions that apply to a member's drivers licence or medical certificate must also be complied with when operating an RAAus aircraft. 

Aviation Reference Number

An aviation reference number (ARN) is similar to an account or customer number and is required to progress many administrative steps.


The Department of Home Affairs is Australia's security regulator for aviation and administers the Aviation Transport Security Regulations. Under those regulations, all current GA pilots must have an aviation security status check. For RAAus pilots (with a higher level licence and Airspace Endorsement) you will also require an aviation security card to enter many Australian airports



Get the latest flying news delivered straight to your inbox.

First Name
Email Address